Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hurricanes in september.......:0(

Hey everyone..Thank you to everyone that replyed to my last post, but the only thing now is that im really worried about going to orlando in september.We are flying out on the 4th of september till the 18th we are going from manchester airport.Has many people been to orlando in september and what are the chances of there being another hurricane..?



Thanks



Ails :0)



Hurricanes in september.......:0(


In 2004, two hurricanes came near Orlando (tropical storm conditions, mostly, power outages) in September: Frances and Jeanne. Frances hit Labor Day weekend, and Jeanne hit the last weekend of September. Last year (2005), Orlando was not bothered by any hurricane in September, although it was affected by Wilma in late October (light tropical storm conditions).





The peak of the Atlantic hurricane season is September 10, so it is a very active time. What are the chances? If one hits, 100%, if it doesn%26#39;t, 0%. You just don%26#39;t really know. If you%26#39;re worried, and travel insurance is an option, get the insurance. If hurricanes scare you to no end, and the fear itself would seriously affect your enjoyment of the trip, see if you can travel at another time. Hurricane season goes from June 1 to Novemember 30, but usually August through October has been the most intense time. If no hurricane comes, it will be a slow time at the parks at that time, once you get past Labor Day (1st Monday in September).



Hurricanes in september.......:0(


I keep misspelling November.




Eddie,





You forgot the most destructive hurricane to hit Orlando in 2004....Charlie.





This storm did major damage to the Orlando area. I know..I was there shortly afterward and saw the results.





So, in essence, three hurricanes directly or indirectly affected the Orlando area in August/September 2004. That is very unusual, but not unheard of.





There%26#39;s no way to know if a hurricane will hit Florida or any specific part of Florida, even one day before landfall sometimes. Charlie was supposed to go south, but it turned north at the last minute.





Your best bet is to get trip insurance, especially if airfare is involved. I wouldn%26#39;t let the fear of hurricanes or tropical storms stop me from going on my trip, but insurance would help you if one did.





Personally, I%26#39;d go back in September in a heartbeat. Crowds were so low, we hardly had any waits at all at the theme parks.




I didn%26#39;t forget, Kat (how could I ever forget that day!). I was just focused on September pretty much (not to mention there was already enough to scare fairy in my post already without bringing Charlie up). Charlie was the first hurricane to directly hit Orlando in 44 years, and it hit with category 2 strength on August 14, 2004. It just reinforces what I said earlier; you just don%26#39;t know. In September 2000, Floyd was a 150 mile sus. wind hurricane which looked like it would hit down around Melbourne then go straight towards Orlando, but made a late turn and stayed at sea (it affected Daytona, breaking off much of their main pier), going up to North Carolina afterward.





The day Charlie hit, I was anxious early that morning. When Tom ';Scary'; Terry on channel 9 said at about 11 am that it was turning toward us, I made a decision to get out of town (with an 8 month old and big trees on our street, didn%26#39;t want to stay in the house). We drove out east to the coast just as the first rain band was hitting (later found out we had come somewhat close to a tornado), and was crossing the St. John%26#39;s river when rain was pouring down and the wind was blowing, and I had visions of the river washing us away (I wasn%26#39;t the only one on the road). We made it across, though, and it calmed down, and we ended up driving to Ft. Lauderdale. The next day I came back and saw two decent sized trees that had fallen (both trees stood within 20 yards of our residence) but they luckily fell away from us. We were lucky, the power was on within 3 hours of getting back (less than 24 hours altogether), but the people directly behind us had power out for a week.




this is something you might never encouter


again it exited me in the middle of charlie




Wow, Eddie,





I didn%26#39;t realize you had such a close encounter with Charlie. Man, that must have been scary. Very glad to hear you escaped without damage to your house or yourselves.





I know when we arrived in Orlando the second week of Sept. that year, I couldn%26#39;t believe all the damage. Wish I%26#39;d had stock in a tarp company about that time, as I%26#39;ve never seen so many on roofs in my life.




Nothing compared to the people that stayed behind. Sometimes I feel like a wimp for not staying around (since nothing ';really'; happened to our place), but with the baby I wouldn%26#39;t take a chance. But it was scary to be on the road, and I definitely questioned my decision, until we got over the river. Charlie hit big tree areas in Conway and Winter Park before our place; that may have weakened it a little. The hurricane was moving N-NE but the trees blew down due west, so I think whatever was left of the eye passed directly over our residence. I saw video of house after house in Conway with big oaks crashed into them.





However Orlando has nothing on the poor people in Punta Gorda, which got hit by 150 mph winds previous, and people lost everything.





The weird thing was the hurricane was originally going toward Tampa, and people evacuated from there to Orlando, only to find themselves in the middle of it.





The other local posters here probably have much better stories than mine.




I have been several times in September-it is a beautiful time to go .



I haven%26#39;t actually been there when anything hit as I left 2 days before Jeanne hit but I wouldn%26#39;t let it stop me going even if I had been there .The chances of 4 hitting again are not great I should think as few usually hit the central area.As for what are the chances of one hitting no one knows as they have a habit of altering course .I wouldn%26#39;t worry over it too much - just get on with planning and packing .




thank you to everyone for their replies..i feel alot better now.I mean if me and partner want to visit orlando and we have waited so long to go then i shouldnt worry about the hurricanes to much..Im so excited about going.Got such a good deal with thomas cook so was over the moon...





thanks to everyone again for all of your help





Ails :0)




If you keep worring about hurricanes you will never go to Orlando. If one strikes, Orlando seems to be well prepared so you should be safe. Even if there is damage, the people are so helpfull, you should still be able to get back home safely and probibly make a few friends along the way.





Now that I said that, I want to add that this year has the potential to ba a bad hurricane season. The Gulf stream is warmer this year by as much as 13 degrees. (so I heard) Also El Nino or Nina is much bigger that previous times.





That being, I still say go ahead. Maybe you might consider travel insurance incase you are stuck in orlando or can%26#39;t get there because of canceled flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment