Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Just an observation

I noticed another thread regarding wheelchairs, and the electric scooter was brought up. I think these are great options for people who need them. I don%26#39;t remember seeing them much last time we were at Disney, but there are many now.





We (we just returned Sat.) witnessed three incidents in two days at Disney, where people were struck by these scooters, two minor injuries and one that appeared to be a broken ankle. The bumpers hit just above the ankle. All three people were hit from behind and had no idea they were in danger.





The drivers in my opinion were NOT being negligent, they simply, and this is so in the serious case, didn%26#39;t know how to operate the scooter. The serious incident happened on the bridge by Splash Mountain, the scooter was going down hill (I was right behind it)seemed to accelerate, hit the man, knocked him down, never slowed it, the operator finally got it stopped twenty feet from the incident, and she was beside herself, very upset.





I don%26#39;t know what the answer is, as these scooters really help people, I guess I%26#39;m just sounding the alarm to be aware of them.



BTW all three of these scooters were day rentals from Disney, so I%26#39;m assuming the operators were somewhat not accustomed to them.



Just an observation


Rono, your post brings back not so nice memories of a visit to sea world, it was a few years ago, my sister and I decided to have a sit down beside a large pillar, after a few minutes I felt myself being draged along the walkway!!!! It%26#39;s funny now as my sister still laughs, but it wasn%26#39;t then... a little old lady reversed, unbeknown to me, tangled my t-shirt in her wheels then drove FORWARD... (Now I%26#39;m laughing) thank god I wasn%26#39;t hurt but my clothes were ruined, seaworld replaced my t-shirt, which was ripped and covered in oil, turns out the lady didn,t know how to drive the scooter!!! My advice... stay clear of ELECTRIC SCOOTERS.



Just an observation


Sounds like some operator training may be in order. 10 minutes up front may save a lot of trouble for all concerned.




I noticed more scooters during our last visit also Rono. Didn%26#39;t see any accidents or injured people however had to dodge alot more of them, never thought about being injured by one!!!



OMG 48noway glad your O.K. and didn%26#39;t end up seriously injured!




I was at WDW during spring break when it was crowded and there were hundreds of scooters there. It was dangerous! I can%26#39;t believe WDW rents them out. If people really need one and own one, then fair enough, but I can%26#39;t believe WDW encourages there use. Wheelchairs, whilst not as cool, are a lot safer for crowded places. There seemed to be a lot of lazy people driving these scooters and I think the exercise would have did them good!




Speaking from the driver%26#39;s seat of one of the scooters (only briefly) you would not believe how many people ignore the scooters and cut directly in front of them. My husband rented one at Disneyland in February (not lazy, Zelda, suffering from a painful condition that makes it difficult to walk great distances) but after 12 hours of sitting and being surrounded by crowds, he asked me to drive it back to the rental area just as Fantasmic was letting out. I could not believe how people pushed right in front of me, then stopped to look around, make a cell phone call, or try to drag their child in front of me as well. So please do watch out for the scooters, as the drivers are at a real disadvantage when it comes to stopping and starting, and teach your kids to watch out, too.


Using a wheelchair means someone else having to push you up and down the hills you probably don%26#39;t even notice in the parks, as I found out the last time we were at WDW. The scooters are a definite need for some of the guests visiting the parks.




Thanhs Healin1, just my pride was hurt. I agree with Zelda to a point, there are ';some'; lazy people using them, there are also people who need them, so this is a great service.





Dwheat, I do understand how difficult it must be to get around the parks with a disability, (I was sitting down when I was ';run over'; I can still hear my sister laughing) thats why I think only people who really need them should be allowed to use them, maybe by producing disabilitly registration or doctors letter. on occasions we have watched people swap places!! with the person pushing the chair/riding scooter, they seemed to be taking turns and at some rides they were brought to the front of the line, I would not have believed it, now that is not only lazy but very deciteful....




I must admit (here I go again)



I was shocked by the amount of people I seen riding around on these scooters. How bizarre 90% of them seemed to have a severe weight problem.



The reason I was shocked is because in England we don鈥檛 see too many of these things. Yes we have elderly people and yes we have disabled people but they just don鈥檛 seem to rely on these things like they do in the U S of A.



Take a walk along the promenade at Blackpool, Morecambe and Fleetwood and you will see 100s of elderly people but no scooters. Walk around the pleasure beach at Blackpool and Alton Towers theme park. How many scooters? non



I noticed a lady one day in Disney trying with all her might to reverse one of these scooters into a small gap. I did feel sorry for her as she obviously getting very flustered and was disabled. No matter what she did she could not get the scooter in the gap.



Then like a miracle sent from our lord, she jumped off her scooter and literally picked it up and pushed it into place.



If people need these scooters then I apologize for any offence.



Rono. You are right. Disney are renting these things to anybody who feels like it and there are 100s of them flying around the parks and in turn that means there will be accidents.



I just DON鈥橳 believe that 90% of the people who use them need them.



Vinny



PS. I`d like to hire one myself, but you drive on the wrong side of the road.




I%26#39;d be happy if Disney required medical verification or age verification (perhaps over age 70) for the scooter rentals. I wouldn%26#39;t mind if they also had a brief driving test. My mom, who is 77, paralyzed, and legally blind, borrowed an electric scooter at Costco, and it was like hanging out with Mr. Magoo (a politically incorrect cartoon character from the 60%26#39;s who was ';visually challenged'; and drove his car through buildings, over sidewalks, etc). I shudder to think of the damage she could do at WDW (and I%26#39;ve begged her to please stay in her wheelchair at Costco).



I admitted already that I drove a scooter at Disneyland even though I am able-bodied because my husband%26#39;s rear was aching from sitting in the scooter seat all day, but I wouldn%26#39;t dream of taking advantage of it to move to the front of lines. I%26#39;m not big on a vengeful God, but that is testing the limits.



As for the large people on scooters, I have to wonder which came first. If you lose your mobility, it%26#39;s very easy to gain weight because you are not walking about much, burning calories. On the other hand, if you weigh more than 250 lbs., that%26#39;s got to take its toll on your feet and joints, and walking around an amusement park for twelve hours would be painful.




I think a lot of the responsibility for good operation of the scooter depends on the driver of the scooter. My mom is in her 70%26#39;s and recovering from cancer, so she can%26#39;t spend all day walking in the parks. So for the first time, I rented a scooter for her at Epcot. We knew nothing about them, so we ASKED. How do you stop? How do you control the speed? How do you go forward? How much room do you need to turn? Then we went to an area of the park for a few minutes where there weren%26#39;t any people and practiced, and selected a speed she felt comfortable with. By doing these things, we had a very enjoyable day and she didn%26#39;t even come close to hitting anyone. It only takes a few minutes to become an informed driver.




half the people who hire these only need them cos they are so large. I%26#39;ve seen it loads of times, realy larger people walk upto the hire desk. Maybe if the walked more they wouldn%26#39;t be so big.

No comments:

Post a Comment