Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Key West is amazing! (Sorry it's long!)

As I said in my earlier post, I found so much helpful info on this forum I wanted to share my experiences and give back! I%26#39;m not going to rehash the same ole same ole...but things I haven%26#39;t seen mentioned before.





Were I to do it again, I would try to fly on the same airline all the way to KW. We flew USAir to Ft Lauderdale and then had to leave that terminal and hustle 3 blocks to the Continental terminal. Go through the long security line again and just made it as they were boarding. Same process again on the way home, only this time through Miami. Although we did not have to leave the terminal, it was a very long walk, VERY LONG lines in security... you get the picture. I bought our tickets from Priceline.com %26amp; didn%26#39;t know about these things. Oh well, older but wiser.





The weather was wonderful! Very comfortable, no bugs. We used sunscreen liberally, but wish we had brought good quality lip balm w/ a high SPF. My lips were very sunburned by the second day. That SPF of 15 just didn%26#39;t cut it.





We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, so weren%26#39;t on a strict budget. We stayed at the Gardens B %26amp; B. Very expensive, but worth every penny.





Our worst meal: Crabby Dicks. Slow service, way overpriced average food, and lousy music.



Our most romantic meal: Latitudes on Sunset Key. Cocktails, Appetizers, dinner w/ a bottle of wine, dessert and coffee and we still didn%26#39;t break $200.



Dinner on Hot Tin Roof was totally spoiled by loud dredgers. Couldn%26#39;t see the sunset because our view was blocked by a cruise ship. Food was excellent, but prolly should have eaten indoors. At least we could have heard each other.



Food at LaTeDa is sooo good. After dinner we went upstairs to see a one man drag show. Eh.



It was ok. (DH sez ';skip it';)Wish we had spent more time at the piano bar downstairs instead. Debra %26amp; Patrick are a class act!



Discovered I love Cuban food! Yummy! Mixed Cuban Sandwich at Dennis%26#39; pharmacy%26#39;s lunch counter, pork platter at El Sibonney, and my first taste of fried plantains at El Maison de Pepe%26#39;s. You can easily split a platter between 2 people when eating at El Sib and Pepe%26#39;s. Tried a Mojito, but didn%26#39;t like it.



That%26#39;s OK cuz I LOVED Key West Sunset ale as much as hubby grooved on the Key West Lemonades.





I gotta tell ya, the bars that get chatted up on this forum, well, (shrugging) A lot of them were out right filthy dirty. I mean really gross. We met some very nice people in them, but it%26#39;s hard to enjoy yourself if your skin%26#39;s crawling. Captain Tony%26#39;s is the worst! Dust hangs like spanish moss from ancient bras, G strings, and crumbling business cards. Ick.



I liked the newer bars, Island Dogs %26amp; Rum Barrel. The Rum Barrell wasn%26#39;t much to look at, but the drinks were very strong and tasty. Island Dogs has lovely decor, great bands, tasty drinks and friendly service. Check out the paw prints all over the cement floor.





It%26#39;s true you don%26#39;t need a car to get around. But by day 4 my legs were pretty sore from all the walking, so we rented bikes. Not only were they fun, they let us return to our favorite places faster!



Be sure your bike is equipped with head and rear lights. If you don%26#39;t have them the cops can pull you over at night and then they have cause to perform sobriety tests! Be sure you get a lock w/ your bike. If you are too tipsy to ride, some cab companies have bike racks on their trunks and can take you and your bike safely back to the hotel.



We also rented an ';Island Egg'; from Tropicar. It%26#39;s 3 wheeled, 2 seat(side by side) gas pwered, oval shaped scooter. We tore all over the island in that thing! It was tons of fun! We were able to travel out to neighborhoods and see folks working on hurricane damaged properties. So sad. Conch houses are lovely and they should be preserved. Locals expressed concern that Key West was going condo and would lose it%26#39;s historic feel if homes could not be restored.





We got great pics from the Tower of the Shipwreck Museum, had a blast hand feeding the chickens at the Chicken store (bring quarters), and were thoroughly enchanted at the Butterfly conservatory. Watched a couple get married aboard the Liberty Schooner on a sunset cruise. Fun crew and good times! Did the snorkel/kayak trip aboard Seabago%26#39;s Island Ting. The last being an excellent value.





I visited 3 art galleries and was suprised how nice the folks were. No high pressure sales or snooty attitudes. They genuinly enjoyed showing us the artwork, telling us the stories behind each piece we lingered over.





I love to shop and there was plenty of stores to explore. Good story: In the Conch Republic store (hope I got the name right) a woman took a large conch shell to the register. She asked about the ends being broken off. It was explained to her that was so you could blow it. The clerk looked at her puzzled face, picked up the conch, and blew hard! The noise made me jump out of my sandals! It was loud! We all laughed!





We loved talking to the locals and were very impressed how hard they work. Most have at least 2 jobs...yet they don%26#39;t complain. Seems it%26#39;s the price they pay to live in paradise! The people of KW are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. Even the cabbie back to the airport was a sweetie! When I told her how much I enjoyed the Cuban food, she gladly shared her favorite family recipes.





KW is everything I read on this forum: great food, great booze, great fun!



We%26#39;re already talking about our next trip to KW. We had a fabulous time!



Key West is amazing! (Sorry it's long!)


Sounds like you guys had a great time in key West. happy 25th Anniversary by the way.





do you remember how much it was to rent one of these 3 whelled cars? It sounds better than renting a scooter.



Key West is amazing! (Sorry it's long!)


Thanks for the report.




Hey, I know you guys!!!! I%26#39;m one of those Iowa women you met on your sunset cruise.





I%26#39;m glad to read you enjoyed the rest of your stay. We had a wonderful time as well.





When are you planning a return trip?





Jean




Jean!



How are you and my sistah nurses? You guys were sooo crazy fun! DH %26amp; I still talk about the great evening we spent together. Was so suprised to see you the next day! Wish we had gotten together for drinks later after we returned our ';Island Egg';.





I was toying the idea of returning for Fantasy Fest..checked out the prices..yeah right! Could afford it if I was a brain surgeon...but on this nurse%26#39;s salary...uh uh.





If we can afford it, maybe a 4 day trip after Thanksgiving. If not, may try early summer (after UD graduates) next year. Who knows? How about you? Were you infected w/ Key West? I got it real bad I don%26#39;t want no cure!




Let%26#39;s take this off the board. I did enjoy your trip report. Good read.





E-mail me at jhecht@mchsi.com




Jay-check out this website



bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/prod03.htm



We rented it for 3 hours and paid a little over $60. It was money well spent. We had a blast zipping around the island in it!



It takes some upper body strenght to steer. There is no rack and pinion, just mechanical linkage...nevertheless neither hubby nor I had problems.




Great trip report! SOunds like you had a blast.




well....





I%26#39;m getting the idea that I%26#39;m NOT going to want to come home after heading down.....9 days and we%26#39;ll FINALLY be on the plane!!!! Our first trip and we CAN%26#39;T WAIT.....





I haven%26#39;t been there yet, but have told the hubby we should move down there...unfortunately..we%26#39;d need to divorce to do that...he won%26#39;t leave his mountains or 4 seasons behind :-( So....guess I%26#39;m living in VT for a long, long time to come!!!





*smiles*PS-Great trip report!!! Can%26#39;t wait till I can do one of my own!!!!


  • oil acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment