Friday, March 30, 2012

For EddieK

Eddie, you%26#39;ve just replied to my query re Kissimmee Old Town. You%26#39;ve given some good advice to some of my earlier posts so I hope you don%26#39;t mind me asking you this question:

I understand the parade of cars is at Old Town, am I right? And what does downtown Kissimmeehave to offer is it worth a visit?

Thanks in anticipation, Carole

For EddieK

Thank you for your vote of confidence; it is appreciated! Unfortunately, I%26#39;d have to say I%26#39;m mostly ignorant on both of your questions. I%26#39;ve never been to Old Town, even though I%26#39;ve been near it a number of times; never took the time to actually visit. Someone else would probably know more about Old Town.

As far as downtown Kissimmee is concerned, I%26#39;ve only been in the area a few times; don%26#39;t know much about it. I did google and at www.kissimmee.org, I did find a short writeup about ';historic downtown kissimmee';, though it was more about revitalization then actual things to visit. I assume somewhere in Kissimmee and around there you would find a section of some old houses, and some older buildings. But I don%26#39;t know for sure. There is a Kissimmee Lakefront park on Lake Toho (Toho is an abbreviation for a long Indian name; and East Lake Toho is a different lake, where the Boggy Creek airboat rides are; both are large lakes); though I%26#39;m sure the lake might be worth looking at, not sure what else is there except for typical park stuff. There%26#39;s a blurb on the lakefront park at: 鈥orldweb.com/SightsAttractions/ParksGardens/

They also mention a tour you can take to one of the islands in Lake Toho, where there are some hiking trails. Also, if you check at Yahoo travel for Kissimmee, you%26#39;ll find a long list of attractions, and a few not in the touristy areas, including a Veterans museum and a Bataan memorial.

East of downtown Kissimmee, there is the Osceola Heritage Park, which has the Silver Spurs Area (where the Silver Spurs Rodeo is held, and also acts such as Norah Jones have performed there) and Osceola County Stadium, which is where the Houston Astros play spring training baseball games every March.

There was a debate previously on the forum about the safety of the area east of 535 and 192. 535 is east of Downtown, and in some ways is the transitional point between the touristy part of Kissimmee and the less touristy, more local part of Kissimmee, culminating in the Downtown Kissimmee area to the east. Off the beaten path (192 becomes Vine Street as it approaches downtown Kissimmee; Osceola heritage Park is on 192 east of downtown) there is a not as good area, but if you ventured over toward downtown in the daytime, and just go to the downtown area, I don%26#39;t forsee any problems. Medieval Times Dinner show is also over in that direction.

To be honest, I%26#39;ve never seen anyone tout Downtown Kissimmee as a tourist destination on here, but I won%26#39;t knock it.

For EddieK

Correction: ';535 is east of Downtown';

I meant to say that 535 is east of Old Town; of course, it is a bit west of Downtown Kissimmee. It is amazing the area that lists itself as a Kissimmee address, as you can probably tell from my postings here.


Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated. Carole


No problem. If you do Kissimmee attractions, give us your take afterwards.

  • bird
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment