Friday, March 30, 2012

Cancel Fort Myers Beach ... go to Sanibel Island instead

One day was all we could stand ... moved the next day to Sanibel Island, where we had an incredible vacation.





Just returned from Fort Myers Beach a week ago and I must say it was the worst beach I have been to in my life. I have been to beaches throughout the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf or Mexico ... in the US, Mexico, Bermuda, Carribean, Hawaii, and Europe. By far, this place is the worst beach vacation location I have ever seen. We were shocked as soon as we came across the bridge and realized how pitiful the strip, shopping and entertainment was going to be. The hotels all appeared old and run down and the most impressive restaurant that I saw was was Hooters ... not quite the type of place I wanted to take my teenage daughter. The smell from the rotting seaweed literally knocked us over when we got out of the car.





If you want something more than a henna tattoo or a cheap t-shirt, you will have to do your shopping elsewhere. The people hanging out here and working in the shops were quite honestly pretty darned creapy. No way my teenage daughter and her friend were getting out of my sight. They actually got a henna tattoo, but not from the freak who was making out with the young lady he had just tattooed and met while we were waiting.





I am far from the person who has to have 5 star hotels and restaurants ... I actually seek the local places ';off the beaten path';, where I can experience how the locals live and see more than what the average tourist will see. What I found in this case is that Sanibel Island, about 10 miles to the north, is many times better as a family vacation spot as Fort Myers Beach. If you are single and looking for a ';party spot';, I would not reccomend this place either ... you can do so much better elsewhere. Do yourself a favor and re-book now. The prices of condos and hotels are not much different at Sanibel and the atmosphere and beauty is far superior. Single ... go to Daytona, Panama City, or Fort Lauderdale for a much better Florida vacation.



Cancel Fort Myers Beach ... go to Sanibel Island instead


Interesting that you say you seek out places that are %26#39;local%26#39; and want to experience how the locals live and you suggest Sanibel,,,,,, Tee Hee, I wish we all could live as Sanibel residents. I LOVE Sanibel, unfortunately the rent on Sanibel is a bit out of most %26#39;local%26#39; pocketbooks. AND if Hooters was the ';most impressive'; restuarant you saw, well ,,,,,,,,,,,, The view coming over that bridge is breathtaking, even on a gloomy day. Every time I come back to my home I am amazed that it is so beautiful here.



Sorry you saw kids making out, geez,,,,,,,,



Cancel Fort Myers Beach ... go to Sanibel Island instead


Wow-what a stinging review. I feel the need to defend my beloved FMB. We%26#39;ve been visiting several times a year for the last 50 years. I%26#39;ve seen a lot of changes, some good, some not so good, but having visited many other places we always come back to FMB.


As for restaurants we enjoy The Bridge, Anthonys on the Beach, and eating outside at Snug Harbor(most of the time,it depends on the server)As far as accomodations, we like the Pink Shell and Bay to Beach condos on the northend.



Our family has never spent much time in the Times Square area except to get an ice cream and walk on the pier. I feel perfectly safe in FMB and it is one of the safest beaches in Florida(no under tow)


The seaweed problem is not an every summer occurrence.



FMB may not be for everyone and that%26#39;s a good thing. There is more to enjoy for us that can appreciate its beauty and slow and easy pace.




That%26#39;s OK, guys... It just leaves more space on the sand for the rest of us.




I don%26#39;t know who that guy is trying to kid. I checked the condo%26#39;s on Sanibel Island - Gulf front condos are almost triple the cost of a gulf front condo in FMB.





However I am concerned about our decision to stay in Carlos Pointe condos. Has anyone ever stayed there?




It is beautiful at carlos point. I do not know the condo itself, but the beach there is nice and the view,,,,,,,,,, I think sitting on the beach down there with the refreshments of your choice at sunset will be very pleasant to say the least! You will enjoy.




Thank you Beachygirl - I feel better now.




Triple the cost? who are you trying to kid is the question.



You can find Gulf front condos (2 bedroom) on Sanibel from about $1200.00 to $1600.00 for 7 days. So you are telling me that condos on Ft. Myers are about $400.00 to $500.00 for 7 days?



Maybe it is an issue of, ';you get what you pay for';.




well actually, yes at this time of year those low prices are in effect on FMB. I am holding the Observer in my hand as we speak there is a beachfront efficiency apt for 250 a week advertised, and that is 1 of many around the beach. AND you can make deals with most of the hotels too. Ya just gotta do a little research. There are bunches of little beach houses all up and down Estero blvd, go online to our realtors and local papers, and if you rent for a month, (don%26#39;t we all wish we could get away for a month) you get an even better deal. Oh wait I live here I don%26#39;t want to go away for a month. Happy Travelling




i could only be so lucky as to be able to take a month off.




We stayed at Sanibel Moorings condominiums, which I would highly reccomend ... a gorgeous place at a very reasonable price. The slightly discounted rate per night was about $15 more than what we had booked at FMB ... not a very significant difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment