Friday, March 30, 2012

what happened to the water taxi?

We looked all over for the water taxi, followed directions, asked around. Finally were told that their dock had sank and they hadn%26#39;t been seen since the 5th. Anyone know if they are still operating and where to buy tickets?



what happened to the water taxi?


This is news to me- whom did you ask and which stop were you looking for ( where were you when you were looking for it?) I think if that had happened it would have hit the papers, but if you give me a bit more info I%26#39;ll try to investigate. Their stop at Bahia Mar has been moved to a different location- were you trying to get it in that area?



what happened to the water taxi?


Yes, we were directed to the Bahia Mar, the folks there didn%26#39;t know they had moved but a lady with a fishing charter told us that they hadn%26#39;t been around there in a couple of days. Where can we go for tickets and to catch it?






This is the info on the new stop , and on the left side of the page is a map and schedule- you buy tickets on the taxi. If you are in town and having trouble with locating them give them a call. Sounds like people weren%26#39;t being very helpful.





watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLAdvisories.A鈥?/a>




Thanks for the info. I%26#39;ll let the front desk here at Vacation Village know of the change so that others won%26#39;t be as lost and confused as we were.




I get free tickets for the Water Taxi at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper Beach. How do I catch it from there?





Also, is the Original Pancake House on N Federal Highway close to the Sehraton Yankee Clipper Beach. Is it accessible via water taxi? We may do lunch there.... We don%26#39;t have one where we live and we luv that place!




The closest stop to your hotel should be across the street and slightly north of you at Bahia Mar . As I understand it, they relocated the stop slightly and it is now at the dock right next to the Fire Station there.





Unfortunately, your hotel is not near the Original Pancake House- it%26#39;s quite a distance north and west actually- although I love their Dutch Babies too. It is not on or anywhere near a Water Taxi Stop.





From reading your other posts I fear you may be expecting a bit too much from the Water Taxi. It%26#39;s access to things is pretty limited and it%26#39;s a slow, though scenic , way to get around.





I am also wondering about your comment in another post about their ';shuttle to South Beach'; I don%26#39;t always keep up with these things, but last I knew the only Water Taxi to South Beach was sort of a sightseeing cruise to South Beach that went on Tuesdays and Saturdays only in the high tourist season and probably goes on Tuesdays only in this slower season. It leaves only from the Convention Center stop at 8:30 am and takes about 3 hours to get to Miami. It really is for sightseeing, not for transportation and I think it is a special fare ( Maybe $30pp) and would not be covered by your passes.





If I am misunderstanding you or if they have added something new into their service, please let me know. Otherwise it really isn%26#39;t a practical way to get to the Port in my opinion .





There is the Tri County Shuttle from the Airport to the Port, at about $20 pp- but I think it leaves from and returns to only the Airport. Once again my info may be outdated and prices may have gone up due to gas prices. I%26#39;ll be interested in learning what you finally choose as your Lauderdale to Miami transportation. It is a frequently asked question here and I am not always up to date on options- usually for a party of three a taxi or a hired car, split among the occupants has usually been the best option, but I%26#39;d sure love to get the latest lowdown.




Great info again, Lulu!





I%26#39;ll check into Tri County. I did look up the Water Taxi on the internet and it%26#39;s $18 rd trip per person to South Beach for sightseeing. And the days are limited. I agree it probably isn%26#39;t the best route to go. I have a friend who moved to West Palm Beach earlier this year and she may take us to the Port of Miami, but I want to have a backup alternative just in case. When we return from our vacation. I%26#39;ll post again letting you know what we ended up doing. Next time I will try a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.





Sorry to hear that the Original Pancake House is a distance. But what the heck! We%26#39;ll be on vacation! I rode the bus for 45 minutes from Collins Blvd in Miami to reach the one in Aventura two days in a row! I only had to transfer once and that was at the Aventura Mall, so it wasn%26#39;t so bad. And I got to take a leisurely ride all the way through Miami Beach with real Miami folks! I figure we can check into the Clipper and catch a bus to the Pancake for lunch if we don%26#39;t rent a car at the airport. How%26#39;s the bus system in Ft Lauderdale? Is there a bus route that you can recommend we take to the OP House?




I don%26#39;t do a lot of bus riding locally, but our bus system is not the best and I%26#39;m almost certain you would have to take one bus going East-West ( probably across Las Olas Blvd. ) and then transfer at Federal Highway to one going north -south- up about thirty blocks to just south of Oakland Park Blvd. where the Pancake House is located. It might be quite time consuming.





As I mentoned in another post, there is another branch of the Pancake House in the west part of town, which is listed in their Locator as in Plantation ( in the 8000 block of Broward Blvd.)





I%26#39;m not sure what you have for transport to Sawgrass, but that is also a distance from your hotel and is about one and a half hours each way by bus through some not great parts of town- and would probably require a transfer at Oakland Park and A1A. If you decide to rent a car to go west to Sawgrass for one day ( there are usually some fairly cheap one day rentals) that might be a time to get to Pancake House, only slightly out of your way. Of course there are also great restaurants at Sawegrass like Cheesecake Factory and Grang Lux ( so much food, so little time..)




Yeah, I realize my time is short. Chose to add on a day before and after a cruise. I%26#39;m thinking we may rent a car to come back to Ft Lauderdale after the cruise. So transportation should not be a problem.





Lulu, by the way, I see that the BCT #1 bus takes you all the way to Aventura Mall and you can transfer to a Miami County Bus at the Mall to downtown, another transfer to the #77 bus, and then transfer to the #243 Seaport right to the cruise ship terminal. Total cost ranges from $3-$4 one way. Total time is about 2.25 hours. Just in case you get another question about cheap transportation to the Port of Miami from Ft Lauderdale. I recall seeing the #1 bus when I was in So Florida in May . (By the way it goes right by the Orig Pancake House in Aventura, so does the BCT #3--smile)




Actually I had a brainstorm about using the Water Taxi for the original Pancake House location ( since you have that free pass). If you take the Water Taxi from Bahia Mar to Bridgeside Square ( It%26#39;s the furthest north Water Taxi stop and may be a Shooters estaurant or the Taverna Opa or Charley%26#39;s Crab- all on the same street and I don%26#39;t remember which. That puts you at the foot of Oakland Park Bridge . so you walk up on the bridge and cross the Intracoastal and head west on Oakland Park Blvd about maybe 8 blocks till you get to a large shopping center with a Target store. This is the corner of Federal Highway. The Pancake House is a little bit south on Federal Highway on the West side of Federal- shares a parking lot with the Ft. Lauderdale Ale House.





Alternatively, since you%26#39;re a bus user, come up to the Bridge and wait for the bus at the stop right in front of Walgreens across the street at Oakland and A1A. It will go across Oakland to the TargertCenter where you can get off and walk south to Pancake House.





I actually think this is also the same bus that goes all the way west on Oakland to the Sawgrass Mall( a really long rideFYI.





The only caveat is that the Water Taxi has lessened the frequency of it%26#39;s trips of late, so check schedules carefully to know when you have to start the trip back. It will take quite a while to get up the Intracoastal to Oakland Park Blvd, but you will see great scenery and pass many mega mansions on the way- in nice weather it will be a pleasant ride/walk.





I%26#39;m sure you already know that Pancake House can be packed on weekend mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment